UPSC PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS
1. Which of the following phenomena might have influenced the evolution of organisms?
- 1.Continental drift
- 2.Glacial cycles
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- (a) 1 only
- (b)2 only
- (c)Both 1 and 2
- (d)Neither 1 nor 2
2. A person stood alone in a desert on a dark night and wanted to reach his village which was situated 5km east of the point where he was standing. He had no instruments to find the direction but he located the polestar, the most convenient way now to reach his village is to walk in the
- Direction facing the polestar
- Direction opposite to the polestar
- Direction keeping the polestar to his left
- Direction keeping the polestar to his right
3. .Which of the following is/are cited by the scientists as evidence/evidences for the continued expansion of universe?
- Detection of microwaves in space
- Observation of redshirt phenomenon in space
- Movement of asteroids in space
- Occurrence of supernova explosions in space code.
4. Electrically charged particles from space travelling at speeds of several hundred km/sec can severely harm living beings if they reach the surface of the earth. What prevents them from reaching the surface of the earth?
- The Earth’s magnetic field diverts them toward its poles
- Ozone layer around the Earth reflects them back to outer space
- Moister in the upper layers of atmosphere prevents them from reaching the surface of the Earth
- None of the statements (a), (b) and (c) is
5. What is the difference between asteroids and comets?
- Asteroids are small rocky planetoids, while comets are formed of frozen gases held together by rocky and metallic material.
- Asteroids are found mostly between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars, while comets are found mostly between Venus and Mercury
- Comets show a perceptible glowing tail, white asteroids do not.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 and 2
- 1 and 3
- 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
6. Which one of the following sets of elements was primarily responsible for the origin of life on the Earth?
- (a)Hydrogen, Oxygen, Sodium
- (b)Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen
- (c)Oxygen, Calcium, Phosphorous
- (d)Carbon, Hydrogen, Potassium.
7. Consider the following :
- Electromagnetic radiation
- Geothermal energy
- Gravitational force
- Plate movements
- Rotation of the earth
- Revolution of the earth
Which of the above are responsible for bringing dynamic changes on the surface of the earth?
- (a)1, 2, 3, and 4 only
- (b)1, 3, 5 and 6 only
- (c)2, 4, 5, and 6 only
- (d) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
1. (C) 2. (C) 3. (A) 4. (A) 5. (B) 6. (B) 7 (D)