GLOBAL HEALTH AWARD
03, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Science and Tech Mains level : GS -III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)
Why in news:
- Vikram Patel, a psychiatrist and professor of global health at Harvard Medical School has won the prestigious John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award for the prevention and treatment of mental health problems in India with global impact.
- Mr. Patel has led research generating knowledge on the burden and determinants of mental health problems in low and middle-income countries and pioneered approaches which utilise community resources for the prevention and treatment of mental health problems in India with global impact, a press release said.
- Laureates receive a $100,000 cash honorarium and will be formally presented with their awards on October 24, 2019 at the annual Canada Gairdner Awards Gala in Toronto.
Global Health Award
- The John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award recognizes the world’s top scientists who have made outstanding achievements in Global Health Research. Since its inception eight years ago, the Global Health Award has grown significantly to become one of the world’s most prestigious awards recognizing excellence in global health research.
- Nominees should be individuals who have made major scientific advances with a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world. The award is science-focused, and is not intended for those with primarily leadership and administrative accomplishments.
- Gairdner invites the scientific community to nominate qualified scientists from any branch of global health. The evaluation of the contributions of the nominees depends heavily on the quality of information supplied. Therefore, nominations should be accurate, detailed,
- current, complete, and with supporting letters reflecting the nominee’s accomplishments.