Global Health Security Strategy unveiled
13, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level : Discuss the Objectives of recently unveiled global health security strategy by the US. Write its significance.
- The US unveiled the ‘Global Health Security Strategy’.
- The strategy is a first of its kind strategy to prevent, detect and respond to threats from infectious diseases occurring naturally or accidentally.
- The National Security Strategy precisely identifies fighting biological threats and pandemics as central component of US’s national security. It treats Biological threats, (like infectious disease outbreaks) as national security priority.
The GHS strategy focuses on three interrelated goals –
- Strengthen partner country global health security capacities.
- Increase international support for global health security.
- Prepare a homeland ready and resilient against global health threats.
- Under the new Strategy, it will work to ensure that every partner country has a plan to achieve self-reliance in the critical area of health security.