Global Livability Index
16, Aug 2018
Prelims level : Report & Index Mains level :
- Vienna displaces Melbourne as the most liveable city in the world in this year’s global liveability index released by The Economic Intelligence Unit.
World’s Most Liveable City:
- It is the first time a European metropolis has topped the annual chart compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
- Each year, 140 cities are given scores out of 100 .
- Global Liveability has improved for the second year in a row, increasing from 74.8% last year to 75.7% in 2018.
- Upwards movement in the top ranked cities is a reflection of improvements seen in stability and safety across most regions in the past year.
- Australia and Canada did the best overall, with three cities apiece in the top 10.
- The survey rates cities worldwide based on 30 qualitative and quantitative criteria, which fall into five general categories:
- Culture and environment
- Education and infrastructure.
- South Asian countries including India have fared poorly in a ranking of the world’s most liveable cities with New Delhi figuring at 112th and Mumbai 117th position in a list of 140 cities.
- South Asian cities rank low in The EIU Liveability index. Of the 6 we cover New Delhi top (112th) then Mumbai next at 117th.
The Economic Intelligence Unit:
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) is a British business within the Economist Groupproviding forecasting and advisory services through research and analysis.
- It also releases
- Democracy Index
- Government Broadband Index