Government scraps scientific panels And forms New Council
11, Aug 2018
Prelims level : Paper – II Important aspects of Governance Mains level : Paper – II Important aspects of Governance
Why in news?
- The government has scrapped two Scientific Advisory Committees (SAC) for the Prime Minister and the Cabinet, and replaced them with a nine-member, Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
- Government has constituted it as a high-power committee to advise it on policy matters related to science, technology and innovation.
- According to an official notification, secretaries of all science & technology related ministries are part of the special invitees. These include atomic energy, space, biotechnology, new & renewable energy, environment & forests, agriculture, health & higher education.
- The committee will advise the Prime Minister on all matters related to S&T, innovation and monitor the implementation of PM’s vision on the same.
- It will facilitate the formulation and implementation of policies and decisions, provide action-oriented and future preparedness advise and assist in directing S&T to solve the socio-economic problems in the country.
- It will also have a large focus on driving innovation in education, research, industry etc.