Prelims Syllabus : National action plan on climate change(NAPCC) Mains Syllabus : Is it vital for India to remain in compliance with the global trade regime?
- Greenam Energy has set up its first floating solar power plant at Tuticorin.
- AM International Group Founder-Chairman Ashwin Muthiah laid the foundation stone for the power plant, which would lead to significant energy savings.
- The 24 MW floating solar power plant would be one of its kind and the first floating renewable energy initiative to optimise energy production in industrial plants.
- The project is a one-of-its-kind and one of India’s first floating renewable energy initiatives to optimise energy production in industrial plants.
- As no land is required for construction, floating solar plants are gaining popularity across India.
- Also, the water beneath keeps the panels cool and boosts efficiency, thus providing mechanical leverage.
- The tropical climate of Southern India and availability of water bodies provide ideal opportunities for the construction of floating solar power plants.