HIV aids (prevention and control) Act, 2017
02, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Particulars of the Act Mains level : Preventing discrimination against HIV/AIDS positive person
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has issued a notification for bringing the HIV AIDS (Prevention and Control) Act, 2017 in force from 10th September, 2018.
- The Act safeguards the rights of people living with HIV and affected by HIV.
Provisions of the Act:
- The provisions of the Act address HIV-related discrimination, strengthen the existing programme by bringing in legal accountability, and establish formal mechanisms for inquiring into complaints and redressing grievances.
- The Act lists various grounds on which discrimination against HIV positive persons and those living with them is prohibited.
- These include the denial, termination, discontinuation or unfair treatment with regard to:
- Educational establishments
- Health care services
- Residing or renting property
- Standing for public or private office
- Provision of insurance
- The requirement for HIV testing as a pre-requisite for obtaining employment or accessing health care or education is also prohibited.