IAF successfully fires BrahMos air version missile from frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft
23, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Indian Air Force today successfully fired the BrahMos air version missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- The launch from the aircraft was smooth and the missile followed the desired trajectory before directly hitting the land target.
- The air launched BrahMos missile is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile.
- The Inidan Air Force became the first Air Force in the world to have successfully fired an air launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target on Novemebr 2017. Today’s was the second such live launch of the weapon.
- The BrahMos missile provides Indian Air Force a much desired capability to strike from large stand-off ranges on any target at sea or on land with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and in all weather conditions.