Prelims Syllabus : Science and Tech Mains Syllabus : -III Technolgy, Disaster Management, Environment (GS3L)
Why in News:
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay have fabricated a wearable super capacitor that can store and deliver large amount of electrical energy, exceeding other similar devices.
- The wearable energy storage device can be stitched on to any fabric and can deliver power ranging from microwatt to milliwatt. The energy stored in the device can power GPS location-based transmitters or a 1.8-volt LED.
About: / Features:
- The wearable energy storage device can be stitched on to any fabric. It can deliver power ranging from microwatt to milliwatt.
- The idea is when the supercapacitor is integrated with a piezoelectric energy generator then it will become completely self-sustaining.
- The electrode of the supercapacitor was fabricated by uniformly coating cotton yarn with carbon nanotubes (CNTs). The coating converts the electrical insulating yarn into a metallic conductor thereby behaving like an electrode.
- The energy stored in the device can power GPS location-based transmitters or a 1.8-volt LED. When stitched to the fabric, the supercapacitor can be used for powering GPS location-based devices or a LED lamp or even charge small electronic devices.