Prelims Syllabus : Science & Technology Mains Syllabus : Information Technology
Why in News?
- • Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) launched a data platform called “Integrated Database on Infrastructure Projects (IDIP)”.
- • IDIP is aimed at enhancing the efficiency of infrastructure development in India and to enable effective decision-making among different stakeholders involved in the infrastructure sector.
- • This data platform is built because the quality data on infrastructure projects in the country is scarce.
- • While data sets provided by the government are often very out dated, those from external agencies such as banks and funding institutions lack details.
IDIP’s focus on the Road Sector:
- • While the database will expand to cover other infrastructure in the country, the initial focus of IDIP would be on the road sector, which has received the highest private investment among all infrastructure sectors.
- • Comprehensive infrastructural data on 250 roads across the country, built on a public- private partnership (PPP) model, has been made available at a single destination.
- • The Road PPP in India is the largest in the world.
• IIT-Madras is soon to work on adding around 680 roads built on the Engineering Procurement and Construction model.