IIT MADRAS TOPS CENTRE’S HIGHER EDUCATION RANKINGS
09, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Nil Mains level : GS-II Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-Madras) has topped the Centre’s ranking of higher education institutions, followed by the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, and IIT-Delhi.
- Seven IITs appear in the top 10 list of the National Institution Ranking Framework (NIRF) for 2019, while
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi and Banares Hindu University, Varanasi, take the remaining places.
- Announcing the rankings on Monday, President Ram Nath Kovind said “Recent expansion in higher education has widened access and improved equity. Even so, quality remains a concern. Based on multiple parameters, including teaching, learning and resources; research and professional practice; graduation outcomes; outreach and inclusivity; and the perception of the public, academics and employers.
- Management rankings are topped by IIM-Bangalore, while XLRI, Jamshedpur, is the only institute apart from IIMs in the top 10.
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was approved by the MHRD and launched by Honourable Minister of Human Resource Development. This framework outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country.