Prelims Syllabus : India Bilateral Cooperation Mains Syllabus : GS-II Bilateral, Regional and Global Groupings and Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s Interests.
Why in News?
- The first India-Africa Defence Ministers’ Conclave which was recently held in Lucknow has adopted the ‘Lucknow Declaration’.
About Lucknow Declaration:
- Acknowledges contribution of Indian defence forces in humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations in Africa.
- It appreciates initiation of Africa India Field Training Exercises with the first ever AFINDEX in March 2019 and agree that it will further strengthen cooperation in defence preparedness and security.
- The vision is to achieve ‘a conflict-free Africa, prevent genocide, make peace a reality for all and rid the continent of wars, violent conflicts, human rights violations, and humanitarian disasters.
- It calls for deeper cooperation in the domain of defence industry including through investment, joint ventures in defence equipment software, digital defence, research & development etc.
- It recognizes the common security challenges such as terrorism and extremism, piracy, organised crime including human trafficking, drug trafficking, weapon smuggling and others.
- The members endorsed initiatives such as African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA), Silence the Guns in Africa and Agenda 2063.
- It calls for strengthening the UN Counter-Terrorism mechanisms and to ensure strict compliance with the UN Security Council sanctions regime on terrorism.
- It urged the international community to envisage the adoption of Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism in the UNGA.
- The members recognized the importance of the oceans and seas to the livelihoods of our peoples and that Maritime security is a pre-requisite for the development of Blue or Ocean economy.
- It sought to increase cooperation in securing sea lines of communication, preventing maritime crimes, disaster, piracy, illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing through sharing of information and surveillance.