India, ASEAN to boost maritime ties
- India and ASEAN have vowed to strengthen ties by deepening cooperation in the maritime sector and boosting connectivity.
- The two sides met at the 21st ASEAN-India Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) held in New Delhi on April 11-12.
- The two sides also decided to hold an ASEAN-India Conference on Renewable Energy in 2019.
- ASEAN countries, particularly Myanmar, Vietnam & Malaysia can potentially contribute to India’s energy security.
- The highly underdeveloped NE States of India, which lie at the gateway to a region offering unlimited economic opportunities, will witness an economic transformation.
- Trade between India and ASEAN comprises 10.12% of India’s total trade with the world
- Conclusion of a balanced Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Agreement will further boost our trade and investment ties with the region.
- Cooperation in areas such as maritime security including freedom of navigation, drug trafficking and cybercrime.