INDIA BECOMES 3RD LARGEST PRODUCER OF ELECTRICITY
21, Mar 2020
Prelims level : Economics- Infrastructure. Mains level : GS-III Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
Why in News?
- As per the Key World Energy Statistics 2019 published by the International Energy Agency, India has been ranked as the 3rdlargest producer of electricity in the world.
Highlights of the Report:
- With a generation of 1,497 Terawatt-hour (TWh), India is the third largest producer and the third largest consumer of electricity in the world after the US and China.
- India was 106th in terms of per capita consumption in 2017.
- Although power generation has grown more than 100-fold since independence, growth in demand has been even higher due to accelerating economic activity.
Government Interventions in the Electricity Sector:
- The Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana:UDAY was launched by the Ministry of Power to help turn around the poor financial situation of state discoms. It also envisages development of renewable energy sector and availability of 24*7 Power For All at an affordable price.
- Saubhagya Scheme: It was launched by the Government of India with the aim of providing electricity access to over 40 million families in the country.
- Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA): It aims to promote efficient lighting, enhance awareness on using efficient equipment which reduce electricity bills and help preserve the environment. The project is spearheaded by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited.
About Key World Energy Statistics:
- KWES is published by the International Energy Agency.
- It is part of the IEA’s annual edition of the world’s most comprehensive series of energy databases and data services, which include World Energy Statistics and Balances and the full range of Fuel Information Data Services.