Prelims Syllabus : Environment- Climate Change Mains Syllabus : GS-III- Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation, Environmental Impact Assessment.
Why in News?
- The Union Minister of State (MoS) for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Mr. Babul Supriyo was speaking at an event in New Delhi to mark World Ozone Day.
India Cooling Action Plan:
- The minister highlighted the fact that India became one of the first countries in the world to launch a comprehensive Cooling Action plan in March, 2019, which has a long-term vision to address the cooling requirement across sectors such as residential and commercial buildings, cold-chain, refrigeration, transport and industries.
- The India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP) lists out actions which can help reduce the cooling demand, which will also help in reducing both direct and indirect emissions.
- The India Cooling Action seeks to:
- Reduce cooling demand across sectors by 20% to 25% by 2037-38
- Reduce refrigerant demand by 25% to 30% by 2037-38
- Reduce cooling energy requirements by 25% to 40% by 2037-38
- Recognize “cooling and related areas” as a thrust area of research under national S&T Programme.
- Training and certification of 100,000 servicing sector technicians by 2022-23, synergizing with Skill India Mission.
World Ozone Day:
- Every year September 16 is marked as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer or World Ozone Day.
- This day was designated by the UN in 2009.
- This date was chosen because it was the day in 1987 when nations signed the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
- Theme for this year: 32 Years and Healing