20, Aug 2019
Prelims level : International Relations Mains level : GS-II- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Why in news?
- The India-Maldives MoU on Training and Capacity Building Programme for Maldivian Civil Servants was operationalised.
- The Prime Minister of India in his visit to Maldives in June 2019, had emphasised India’s ‘Neighbourhood First’ policy and assured India’s full support to Maldives and strengthening of democratic and independent institutions of Maldives.
- One of the MoUs signed during the visit was between the National Center for Good Governance, India and the Civil Services Commission of Maldives which envisaged capacity building activities for Civil Servants of Maldives at the National Centre for Good Governance over the next 5 years.
- The Agreement envisaged that the National Center for Good Governance, India will be the nodal institution for designing customised training modules and its implementation taking into account the requirements of the Civil Service Commission of Maldives.
- The subject matter of the training programs include public administration, e-governance and service delivery, public policy and governance, information technology, urban development and planning, ethics in administration and challenges in implementation of SDGs.