India-Russia Bilateral Relationship
18, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Mains level :
- India shares special relationship with two global partners one is Russia and other is Japan.
- In Japan, we call it as “Global Strategic Partner”.
- Russia, we call it as “Special and Privilege strategic relationship”.
- The Russia President has planned to visit India next month. And this move is seen as an offset to 2+2 dialogue from India.
Why Russia Important to India?
- Russia’s Strategic importance has stood time even during the cold war era.
- 67% of our defense equipment are from Russia which means Russia is the country where we can service and maintain this equipment’s.
- The $400 missile which is crucially and is the state – of – art technology to be sold to India which makes us even more stronger regional power.
Pakistan – Russia Naval Agreement
- The Engagement of Russia with Pakistan has no issue that India should look at.
- But it is a sign that if India is not buying it needs to sell it far that it needs a client
Russia – China partnership
- Russia is seen as a strategic partner to China but Russia and china have their own Boundary issues.
- Russia Conducted Vostok 2018 with China which is nothing but a engagement between two countries who oppose US domination in Asia – Pacific.
- So it is like a forced marriage relationship.
- China has started to encroach Russia’s economy but despite US sanctions Russia remains a power to reckon with.
- India Policy with Russia should be Independent and try to get waiver from CAATSA for purchase of $400.