India stopped importing oil from Iran after US waivers expired: Envoy
24, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level : Write about China Pakistan Economic Corridor & Its effects on India?
- India has stopped importing oil from Iran after American waivers granted to eight buyers expired early this month.
- This was stated by Indian Ambassador to the US Harsh Vardhan Shringla at a news conference in Washington.
- New Delhi understands that the move was a priority for the US, although it comes at a cost as India really needs to find alternative sources of energy.
- India depends heavily on West Asia for its energy needs and is against any further escalation of tension in the region.
- The Indian envoy added that he was confident that US sanctions would not affect its partnership in developing Iran’s Chabahar port.
- The Chabahar port is a lifeline for Afghanistan that provides both humanitarian assistance and supplies to the war-torn country.