INDIA SUCCESSFULLY TEST-FIRES QUICK REACTION SURFACE-TO-AIR MISSILE
GS 3: Internal Security
Why in News?
- India has successfully test-fired two indigenously developed Quick Reaction Surface-to- Air missiles (QRSAM) from a test range off the Odisha coast.
- The trials were conducted by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from Launch Complex 3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur.
- This missile has been developed to replace the ‘Akash’ missile defence system, and has 360-degree coverage, light weight, high mobility and shorter second reaction time as compared to ‘Akash’.
- It also uses solid fuel propellant and has a stated range of strike range of 25-30 km with capability of hitting multiple targets.
- It is capable of hitting the low flying objects.
- It successfully demonstrated the robust Control, Aerodynamics, Propulsion, Structural performance and high manoeuvering capabilities thus proving the design configuration.
- Radars, Electro Optical Systems, Telemetry and other stations have tracked the Missiles and monitored through the entire flights.
//php comments_template(); ?>