INDIA TO CO-CHAIR CONSULTATIVE GROUP (CG)
14, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
GS 3: Disaster Management
Why in News?
India is unanimously chosen as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020
- GFDRR is a global partnershipthat helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change.
- GFDRR is a grant-funding mechanism, managed by the World Bank that supports disaster risk management projects worldwide.
- It is presently working on the ground with over 400 local, national, regional, and international partners and provides knowledge, funding, and technical assistance.
Significance to India:
- India became member of CG of GFDRR in 2015
- India’s candidature was backed by its consistent progress in disaster risk reduction (DRR) in the country and its initiative to form a coalition on disaster resilient infrastructure.
- This will give the country an opportunity to work with the member countries and organizations of GFDRR with a focused contribution towards advancing the disaster risk reduction agenda during the course of the year.
- India would like to pursue a focused agenda and develop synergies with ongoing work streams of GFDRR.
- Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (DRI) will be a central theme of engagement with the GFDRR partners and stakeholders.