INDIA TODAY Floating nuclear power plant launched
- A floating nuclear power plant that is also known as ‘Chernobyl on ice’ is ready to begin supplying the electricity in Russia.
- The Akademik Lomonosov is reportedly destined to provide power for a region in Russia’s far east.
- The ship’s 70-megawatt reactors could power a city of 200,000 people.
- A floating nuclear power plant is a site with one or more nuclear reactors, located on a platform at sea.
- It is an autonomous site that can provide electricity and heat to areas with difficult access, such as the cold Northern territories. It can also provide drinking water to dry areas, via desalination techniques.
- China is constructing a similar floating power station.