India, US, Japan and Australia supports ASEAN led architecture mechanism
04, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- India, US, Japan, and Australia came together to support ASEAN-led architecture mechanism for a rule-based order to promote the free, open, prosperous and inclusive indo-pacific region in a meeting held at Bangkok, Thailand.
- The meeting at Bangkok is to counter China’s military expansion into the Indo-pacific region.
- They affirmed their strong support for ASEAN centrality and ASEAN-led regional architecture including the Indian Ocean Rim Association and Pacific Islands Forum.
- They underscored their intent to continue close coordination and collaboration in support of sustainable, private sector-led development, maritime security, and good governance.
- The Quad coalition also discussed initiatives undertaken by each country to encourage transparent, principles-based investment in quality infrastructure in accordance with international standards and leverage the potential of the private sector.
- China has been trying to expand its military presence in the Indo-Pacific, which is a biogeographic region, comprising the Indian Ocean and the western and central Pacific Ocean, including the South China Sea.
- China claims almost all of the South China Sea. Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, and Taiwan have counterclaims over the sea.