INDIAN ARMY SIGNS MOU WITH NHPC TO BUILD UNDERGROUND TUNNELS
Why in News?
- Indian Army has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Limited to build four underground tunnels.
- The agreement is to build four underground tunnels along China and Pakistan borders for storage of ammunition and other war-related
- Three tunnels will be built along the Chinese border and one tunnel will be built along the Pakistan border
- The tunnel can store 175-200 metric tonnes of ammunition and the cost of this pilot project is around Rs 15 Crore
National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited:
- NHPC is an Indian Hydropower generation company
- It has an objective to plan, promote and organise an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects
- NHPC was founded in 1975
- It is headquartered at Faridabad, Haryana,India
- Balraj Joshi is the Chairman & MD of NHPC