Indian Navy launches fourth Scorpene class submarine
06, May 2019
Prelims level : Types of Submarines Mains level :
- The fourth of Indian Navy’s stealth Scorpene class Submarines of Project 75 was launched today at the Kanhoji Angre Wet Basin of Mazagon Dock Limited at Mumbai in Maharashtra.
- The submarine has been named ‘Vela’ after an earlier submarine, which was the lead submarine, of the erstwhile Vela class, the second batch of the Foxtrot class submarines acquired from erstwhile USSR.
- The steel cutting for this submarine commenced in July 2009. The submarine has completed joining of all its sections.
- The launch ceremony also signifies that four submarines of this project would be afloat and soon join the Navy’s submarine fleet.
- The submarines are being built at Mazagon Dock Limited, with the main collaborator being M/s Naval group, France.
- Secretary Defence Production Dr Ajay Kumar was the Chief Guest for the launch ceremony