Indias last Orangutan Binny died due to prolonged illness
01, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Binny, a 41-year-old orangutan, at Odisha’s Nandankanan Zoological Park died on 29 May following a prolonged illness.
- Orangutans are one of the world’s three extant species of great apesand are native to Indonesia and Malaysia.
- Orangutans are currently found only in the rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
- An orangutan can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos.
- They have been extensively studied by researchers for their learning abilities.
- They use a variety of sophisticated tools and even construct elaborate sleeping nests from branches and foliage.
- The Sumatran and Bornean species are both critically endangeredaccording to the IUCN Red List of mammals.
They are considered to be among the most intelligent primates.