International energy agency report
30, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Economy Mains level :
- India’s carbon emission grew by 4.8% during 2018.
- But India’s per capita carbon emission is less than 40% of the global average.
- At the global level, renewable sources of energy grew by 7% during 2018.
- China and Europe contributed to bulk of global carbon savings.
- India is far away from fulfilling its target under the Paris agreement (to cut energy intensity of GDP by 33-35% by 2030, over 2005 levels.
About International Energy Agency:
- IEA is an inter-governmental organization established in 1974 as per framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- It was established in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis after the OPEC cartel had shocked the world with a steep increase in oil prices.
- Members: Presently it has 29 member countries. India is lone associate member of IAE. Headquarters (Secretariat): Paris, France.
- Mandate: Its prime focus is on the “3Es” of effectual energy policy: energy security, economic development and environmental protection. It also seeks to promote alternate energy sources (including renewable energy), rational energy policies and multinational energy technology co-operation.
- It publish World Energy Outlook Report.