INTERNATIONAL WATER CONFERENCE
GS 3: IR – Organizations
Why in News?
UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Unesco) will organise a International Water Conference over May 13-14 at its Paris headquarters.
- It will aim to discuss the role of water for driving peace and sustainable development in the world, because “access to water is not only a matter of development.
- The conference would involve ministers from 40 countries, experts, researchers, the civil society, the private sector as well as international organisations. They would find innovative solutions to problems related to the governance and management of water resources.
- It will also launch a call for action to foster, embrace, and adopt trans-sectoral management of water resources for sustainable water security and peace.
- Topics for the panels will be diverse: technological innovation, ethics, heritage, gender, etc.
- The sixth of the 17 United Nations-mandated Sustainable Development Goals is to provide universal access to safe and affordable drinking water by 2030.