ISRO Cranks up GAGANYAAN Project
12, Jan 2019
Prelims level : Space Mains level : GS 3: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology. Prelims level: Space
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said work on ‘Gaganyaan’, the project to send a manned mission to space by 2022, would start soon at the newly created Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC).
- According to ISRO, Gaganyaan has taken high priority now and the Human Space Flight Centre would carry out all activities related to the human programme, under which Gaganyaan project would function.
- The project has also got government approval and budget for putting three astronauts in space for seven days.
About the Gaganyaan Mission:
- It will be India’s first manned space mission.
- Under it, India is planning to send three humans (Gaganyatris) into space in low earth orbit (LEO) by 2022 i.e. by 75th Independence Day for a period of five to seven days.
- The mission was announced by Prime Minister during his 72nd Independence Day speech.
- Under this mission, crew of three astronauts will conduct experiments on microgravity in space.
- The crew will be selected jointly by Indian Air Force (IAF) and ISRO after which they will undergo training for two-three years.
- India will be fourth nation in the world after USA, Russia and China to launch a human spaceflight mission.
- Enhancement of science and technology levels in the country, serve as national project involving several institutes, academia and industry, improve of industrial growth, inspire youth, develop technology for social benefits and improve international collaboration.