J &K RESERVATION (SECOND AMENDMENT) BILL
02, Aug 2019
Prelims level : Governance, Policies Mains level : GS-II- Government Policies and Interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Why in News?
- Cabinet has approved J&K Reservation (Second Amendment) Bill to provide 10 percent reservation to the poor in higher education and government jobs.
- The bill will pave the way for the extension of 10 percent reservation for the poor in educational institutes and government offices of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The 10 percent reservation for the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) will be in addition to the existing reservations in the state.
- The Supreme Court had earlier refused to order a stay on the government’s decision to grant 10 percent quota to economically weaker sections in jobs and admissions. The court had, however, agreed to examine the validity of the law and issued a notice to the Centre on the pleas.
- The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha passed the reservation bill on January 8 and 9 respectively and it was later signed by President Ram Nath Kovind.
Extension of Reservation:
- The Act provides for the reservation in appointment and promotions in certain state government posts to persons belonging to socially and educationally backward classes.
- It defines socially and educationally backward classes to include persons living in areas adjoining the Actual Line of Control.
- The Bill amends this to include those persons living in areas adjoining the International Border, within the ambit of this reservation.
- Further, the Act states that any person who has been appointed on the basis of residence in an area adjoining the Line of Control must serve in such areas for at least seven years.
- The Bill extends this condition to persons living in areas adjoining the International Border as well.
Exclusion from Reservation:
- The Act states that any person whose annual income exceeds three lakh rupees or other amounts as notified by the state government, would not be included within socially and educationally backward classes.
- However, this exclusion does not apply to persons living in areas adjoining the Actual Line of Control.
- The Bill states that in addition, this exclusion will not apply to persons living in areas adjoining the International Border also.