June 3 is celebrated as the World Bicycle Day across the globe
04, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- In April 2018, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) declared 3 June as International World Bicycle Day.
- The resolution for World Bicycle Day recognizes the uniqueness, longevity, and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries, and that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation.
- 2019 will be the second year when it will be celebrated after the UN General Assembly declared it in 2018 to acknowledge the uniqueness, longevity and the importance of the bicycle which is a simple, affordable, reliable and an environmentally friendly mode of transportation.
- The day aims to promote the use of bicycles as a means of fostering sustainable development, strengthening education, including physical education, for children and young people, promoting health and tolerance, preventing disease, mutual understanding and respect, facilitating social inclusion and a culture of peace.
- In India, Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu had flagged off a cycling rally in Connaught Place in Delhi on the occasion of World Bicycle Day. It was also celebrated by cyclists in many other cities like Bengaluru and Mumbai.