20, Aug 2018
Prelims level : Paper – III Disaster Management Mains level :
- The South-West monsoon has been vigorous over Kerala, resulting in heavy floods in various parts of the state.
- The State Disaster Management Authority has declared a red alert in Idukki and Wayanad districts in the light of the extremely heavy rain.
- The Indian Navy’s Operation Madad was launched to assist the state administration and undertake disaster relief operations due to unprecedented flooding in many parts of Kerala following incessant rainfall and release of excess water from Idukki and other dams.
- Naval helicopters are also deployed for ferrying divers, power tools, axes and relief material to the flooded areas to augment ongoing relief operations.
- The operation sahyog has been launched by Indian Army in rescue mission.
- The army pushed its men and machinery into disaster relief and rescue operations at Kannur, Kozhikode, Wayanad and Idukki after incessant rain and landslides hit various northern districts of the state.
- Global warming could be a responsible for the unprecedented rain that is witnessed in Kerala.
- South west monsoon has been intensified due to climate change.
- Urbanisation and Encroachments.