KEY MISSIONS LAUNCHED ON FOUNDATION DAY OF DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
21, Feb 2019
GS 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
Why in News?
- Department of Biotechnology in the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, celebrated its 33rd Foundation Day.
- Theme: “Celebrating Biotechnology: Building Indian as an Innovation Nation”.
The Minister announced key missions at the foundation day ceremony including Atal JaiAnusandhan Biotech Mission – Undertaking Nationally Relevant Technology Innovation (UNaTI), which is expected to transform Health, Agriculture and Energy sectors during the next 5 years. This mission includes
- GARBH-ini– A Mission to promote Maternal and Child Health and develop prediction tools for pre-term berth,
- IndCEPI– A Mission to develop affordable vaccines for endemic diseases, Development of Biofortified and Protein Rich wheat – contributing to POSHAN Abhiyan,
- Mission on Anti-Microbial Resistance for Affordable Diagnostics and Therapeutics and Clean Energy Mission– Innovative Technology interventions for Swachh Bharat.