09, May 2019
Prelims level : Art & Culture Mains level : Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
Why in News:
- Four children belonging to the aboriginal Kolam tribe from Narnoor mandal in Adilabad district died after food poisoning
- Kolam are a designated Scheduled Tribe in the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh Chhattisgarh Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- They belong to the sub-category Particularly vulnerable tribal group, one of the three belonging to this sub-category.
- They speak the Kolami language, they are an agricultural community. The Kolam are an endogamous group.
- They have a high rate of returning positive to the Naked eye single tube red cell osmotic fragility test (NESTROFT) test, making them prone to high incidence of Thalassaemia.
Government initiative for tribes:
- The Tribal Sub Plan (TSP) strategy is a Government of India initiative aimed for the rapid socio-economic development of tribal people.
- The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes is vested with the duty to participate and advise in the planning process of socio-economic development of STs, and to evaluate the progress of their development under the Union and any State.