Last female rare turtle species died
- The only known female member of one of the world’s rarest and most endangered turtle species died on 13 April 2019. It was more than 90 years old.
- The female Yangtze giant softshell turtle died at the Suzhou Zoo in Suzhou, China.
- The death means only three giant softshell turtles remain in the world.
- It is also known as the Red River giant softshell turtle, Shanghai softshell turtle, Swinhoe’s softshell turtleor speckled softshell turtle.
- The Suzhou zoo, where the female turtle lived, also houses a male Yangtze giant softshell turtle. The other two live in Vietnam.
- It is listed as critically endangered in the IUCN Red List.
- It may be the largest living freshwater turtle in the world.
- The female of the last breeding pair has died, making the species functionally extinct unless a wild female is found.
//php comments_template(); ?>