LEAST AVAILABLE DEPTH INFORMATION SYSTEM (LADIS) PORTAL
GS 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, and Railways etc.
Why in News?
Moving a step ahead towards ensuring optimum use of National Waterways, the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) launched a new portal LADIS – Least Available Depth Information System.
Least Available Depth Information System Portal:
- IWAI has designed LADIS to facilitate the day to day operations of inland vessels plying
on National Waterways and to avoid any hindrance in service and operation.
- It will enhance credibility and efficiency of information sharing to achieve seamless operations on National Waterways, besides pre-empting problems that may occur during movement of vessels. LADIS will ensure that real-time data on least available depths is disseminated for ship/barge and cargo owners so that they can undertake transportation on NWs in a more planned way. The portal being hosted on IWAI’s website iwai.nic.in has been developed in-house.
- Initially LAD information will be available for NW-1, NW-2, Indo-Bangladesh Protocol route and NW-3, along with the date of survey.
Utility of the Portal:
- An assured depth of waterway is required for seamless movement of vessels.
- If real time information is made available regarding LADs in stretches of various NWs, it will help transporters by guiding them on the suitability of time of movement.