LIVE MINT Gujarat Govt to pay Rs 50 lakh to Bilkis Bano
- The Supreme Court directed the Gujarat government to make a payment of ₹50 lakh as compensation to Bilkis Bano, who was gang-raped during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
- She was 21 years old when the horrific incident happened with her.
- On March 3, 2002 Bilkis Bano’s family was attacked by a mob at Randhikpur village near Ahmedabad during the Godhra riots. Fourteen members of her family were killed.
- She filed a case and trail began in Ahmedabad. Supreme Court transferred the case to Mumbai in August 2004.
- A special court had on 21 January, 2008 convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment 11 men for raping Bilkis and murdering seven of her family members.
- The high court, on May 4, 2017, convicted seven people under charges of not performing their duties and tampering of evidence.
- The Supreme Court had on July 10, 2017 dismissed the appeals of two doctors and four policemen.
//php comments_template(); ?>