Logistic deal with Russia
11, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Mains level : Paper – III Defence
- India and Russia are in the process of concluding a logistics agreement, with both sides targeting to conclude consultations before the annual summit.
Logistics agreement with other countries:
- India signed the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Understanding (LEMOA), with the U.S. in August 2016 after a decade of negotiations.
- Since then it has concluded several such agreements with France, Oman, Philippines, Singapore and for access to the Sabang port in Indonesia.
Importance with Russia:
- India has longstanding and wide-ranging cooperation with Russia in the field of defence. India-Russia military technical cooperation has evolved from a simple buyer-seller framework to one involving joint research, development and production of advanced defence technologies and systems.
- It increases operational flexibility
- Logistics agreements are administrative arrangements facilitating access to military facilities for exchange of fuel and provisions on mutual agreement simplifying logistical support and increasing operational turnaround of the military when operating away from India.