MAHARASHTRA CMO NOW UNDER AMBIT OF LOKAYUKTA
- Maharashtra Cabinet has decided to give more power to Lokayukta and brought the Chief Minister’s office under its ambit.
- It is not mandatory for the states to include Chief Minister under the purview of Lokayukta according to the present Lokpal and Lokayukta act.
- But Maharashtra cabinet decided to become one of the few states who has conferred more powers to Lokayukta.
Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act
- The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 was notified on January 1, 2014.
- It provides for establishing a body to be called the Lokpal and headed by a Chairperson, who is or has been a Chief Justice of India, or is or has been a judge of the Supreme Court, or an eminent person who fulfils eligibility criteria as specified.
- Of its other members, not exceeding eight, 50% are to be judicial members, provided that not less than 50% of the members belong to the SCs, STs, OBCs, minorities, and women.
The appointment committee of lokpal headed by prime minister
- a. Chief justice of india
- b. leader of opposition in lok sabha
- c. speaker, lok sabha
- d. all the above