MAQOM Art Inter’L Forum
05, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Culture Mains level :
Indian vocalist wins second prize in the Maqom Art International Forum in Uzbekistan
- Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan from India won second prize worth of USD 7000 for his performance in the solo category in the first Maqom Art International Forum in Shakhrisabz city of Uzbekistan this month.
- Serving the Indian Classical Music for more than 50 years, vocalist Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan from Delhi Gharana is well known for his versatility and solid vocal expression.
- His expertise in a number of forms of music like Khayal, Thumris, Dadras, Bhajans, and Ghazals makes his range very wide. His style of classical singing has won him great acclaim. He is a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his contribution to classical music, known as the khalifa or head of the Dilli gharana of Hindustani music.
- The international forum is organized on the initiative of the President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev to broadly promote the Oriental Maqom art, affirm respect among the younger generation and increase interest in national classical music.
- More than 300 international guests from 71 countries of the world visited Shakhrisabz to take part in the event. Among them 162 maqom performers participated in the festival that was covered by journalists from 30 countries.
- The forum itself was preceded by large-scale preparations in the form of various exhibitions, academic round tables dedicated to maqom.
- Scientific-practical conference on the topic “Music art of maqom and its role in the world civilization”
- Various exhibitions dedicated to maqom, showcases and sales of national musical instruments, textiles, handicrafts, works of fine and applied art, sculpture, art and plays of documentary films, books and albums were organized on Oqsaroy square in Shakhrisabz.
- This event will be held every two years. The coordination is in the hands of the Ministry of Culture of Uzbekistan, the Uzbek National Center of the Maqom Art, other stakeholders. The Forum is held under the patronage of UNESCO.
- It is to popularize widely one of the famous genres of classical and musical art of East people, to preserve maqom culture contemporarily with modern life, learn and investigate them, develop and encourage professional maqom performers and support them.
- Expand public attitude of youth to maqom art in generation’s soul, to perform rich, artistic and esthetic opportunities of musical heritage, strengthen relations of friendship between nations regularly.
- Encompass Uzbek maqom and music genres of East people, exchange cultural-scientific information, make scientific and creative cooperation, expand cultural and spiritual relations.