Prelims Syllabus : Economics Mains Syllabus : GS-III Indian Economy and Issues Relating to planning, mobilization of resources, Growth, Development and Employment.
Why in News?
- Union Finance Minister announced the 3rd Tranche of measures to strengthen Infrastructure Logistics, Capacity Building, Governance and Administrative Reforms for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Processing Sectors.
- The recent package is a part of the Special economic and comprehensive package of Rs 20 lakh crore – equivalent to 10% of India’s GDP, announced recently amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aatmanirbhar Bharat or Self-Reliant India Movement having five pillars – Economy, Infrastructure, System, Vibrant Demography and Demand, is what this special economic and comprehensive package called.
- Two significant Agriculture-related measures were also announced as part of 2nd tranche to support farmers –
- Additional Emergency Working Capital facility through NABARD to enable RRBs and Cooperative Banks extending farm loans for Rabi post-harvest and Kharif expenses and
- Credit boost to the farm sector by covering 2.5 crore PM-KISAN beneficiaries under Kisan Credit Card Scheme.
- Out of these 11 measures, 8 measures are for improving agricultural infrastructure and 3 measures are for administrative and governance reforms, including removing restrictions on sale and stock limits of farm produce. Measures are
- Rs 1 lakh crore Agri Infrastructure Fund for farm-gate infrastructure for farmers:
- Impetus for development of farm-gate & aggregation point, affordable and financially viable Post Harvest Management infrastructure. The fund will be created immediately.
- Rs 10,000 crore scheme for Formalisation of Micro Food Enterprises (MFE):
- A Scheme promoting the government’s vision: ‘Vocal for Local with Global outreach’ will be launched to help 2 lakh MFEs who need technical upgradation to attain FSSAI food standards, build brands and marketing.
- The focus will be on women and SC/ST owned units and those in Aspirational districts and a Cluster based approach (e.g. Mango in UP, Tomato in Karnataka, Chilli in Andhra Pradesh, Orange in Maharashtra etc.) will be followed.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY):
- The Government will launch the PMMSY for integrated, sustainable, inclusive development of marine and inland fisheries. The focus will be on Islands, Himalayan States, North-east and Aspirational Districts.
- Rs 11,000 crore for activities in Marine, Inland fisheries and Aquaculture and Rs. 9000 crore for Infrastructure – Fishing Harbours, Cold chain, Markets etc shall be provided.
- Impact: This will lead to Additional Fish Production of 70 lakh tonnes over 5 years, Employment to over 55 lakh persons and double the exports to Rs 1,00,000 crore.
National Animal Disease Control Programme:
- National Animal Disease Control Programme for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Brucellosis launched with total outlay of Rs. 13,343 crore to ensure 100% vaccination of cattle, buffalo, sheep, goat and pig population for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and for brucellosis.