Prelims Syllabus : International Relations- International Institutions – summits, working, organisations Mains Syllabus : GS-II- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Why in News?
- The BRICS Ministers of Foreign Affairs Meeting took place on 26th July 2019 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- India was represented by Gen (retd) VK Singh who at the meeting who is the Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways.
- A common understanding was made to further deepen BRICS three-pillar-driven cooperation in the areas of security, peace, economy and people-to-people exchanges.
- Reaffirmation to the commitment to upholding the international law was made along with advance sustainable development and protection of human rights and freedom.
- They decided to make a dedicated effort to prevent the financing of terrorist networks and condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- BRICS is an informal grouping of five major emerging national economies Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa formed in 2006.
- Originally the first four countries were grouped as “BRIC” (or “the BRICs”), and after the induction of South Africa in 2010 it became BRICS. BRICS countries represent 41% of the global population and contribute about 23% of the gross world product.