MINISTRY OF SKILL DEVELOPMENT SKILLS BUILD PLATFORM IN COLLABORATION WITH IBM
16, Dec 2019
Prelims level : Investments, Investment Models Mains level : GS-III Investment Models.
Why in News?
- India is the 4thcountry where Skills Build platform was launched in November 2019, in alliance with the Directorate General of Training (DGT), after being launched in UK, Germany and France.
- SkillsBuild offers digital learning content from IBM and other online coding teaching companies.
- A two-year advanced diploma in IT, networking and cloud computingwill be offered at the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) & National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs).
- The platform will be extended to train ITI & NSTI facultyon building skills in Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Provide a personal assessmentof the cognitive capabilities and personality via My Inner Genius to the students.
- Teach digital technologiesand professional skills such as resume-writing, problem solving and communication.
- Students will receive recommendationson role-based education for specific jobs.
- Will help develop the skills required to join the workforce in these “New Collar” roles, from the first-of-its kind ‘New Collar Curriculum’ for ITI launched in 2018 by IBM.
- New collar jobs are occupations which focus more on a candidate’s skills during the hiring process, rather than his or her level of education.
- Although new collar jobs do not require a four-year degree, they often do require other types of vocational training and certifications. This are mostly found in the information technology (IT), manufacturing and healthcare industries.