Mission RakshaGyan Shakti Launched
Why in News?
- The Union Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched ‘Mission RakshaGyanShakti’ on November 27, 2018. The programme will aim to strengthen the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) culture in the indigenous defense industry. It was started by the Department of Defence Production for enhancing the self-resilience in the defense sector.
- Mission RakshaGyan Shakti will aim to give a boost to IPR culture in the defence sector.
- Under this programme, the Internet Protocol system will be strengthened in the defence manufacturing sector of the country.
- The programme will be implemented with the coordination of the Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA).
- The end objective of the programme is to inculcate IP culture in Indian defence manufacturing ecosystem.
In the event organised on the launch of the programme, the inventions, and innovations of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) and Ordnance Factories (OFs) in the area successful IPR applications filing were showcased.
India has always been a knowledge hub since ancient times, but due to lack of awareness on modern legal framework for protection of IP rights, the nation’s knowledge and creativity have often not been utilised to its full potential.
Intellectual Property Right:
According to the World Trade Organization (WTO), IPRs are the rights given to persons over the creations of their minds. They usually give the creator an exclusive right over the use of his/her creation for a certain period of time.
The Intellectual Property Right has emerged as a key ingredient of an ecosystem which stimulates innovation and ingenuity.
It was highlighted the need to migrate from the culture of seeking Transfer of Technology (ToT) from foreign sources to generating Intellectual Property in India, to achieve the goal of self-reliance in Defence sector.
An IP Facilitation Cell was established in April 2018, which has worked tirelessly to achieve ambitious targets of training 10,000 personnel of OFB and DPSUs on IPR and facilitate filing of at least 1,000 new IPR applications.
//php comments_template(); ?>