Mobilise your city (MYC) programme
23, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Significance and features of MYC programme, India’s association. Mains level : Significance and features of MYC programme, India’s association.
Why in News?
- India and France have signed an implementation agreement on “MOBILISE YOUR CITY” (MYC) programme.
- Based on a proposal made by AFD in 2015, the European Union has agreed to provide funds of Euro 3.5 million through the AFD to contribute to specific investments and technical assistance components within the Mobilise Your City (MYC) programme in India.
Mobilise Your City (MYC):
- MobiliseYourCity (MYC) is a global climate initiative for integrated urban mobility planning, and one of 15 international transport initiatives of the UN Global Climate Action Agenda (GCAA).
- Mobilise Your City (MYC) is part of an international initiative which is supported by the French and the German Governments and was launched at 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) meeting in December, 2015.
- The MYC is an initiative combining urban mobility objectives and climate considerations.
- It aims at providing solutions in a fully integrated manner, analysing different modes of transportation within the urban fabric, with the objective of providing people long-term, sustainable, adequate, reliable and cost-efficient transportation opportunities.
- The project seeks to back 100 cities worldwide in three years, which are engaged in sustainable urban mobility planning to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- In India, the MYC aims at supporting three pilot cities viz. Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad in their efforts to reduce their Green House Gas (GHG) emissions related to urban transport by implementing urban mobility plans at local level and to help India at national level to improve their sustainable transport policy.
- The three pilot cities selected under the programme as well as MoHUA will benefit from the Technical Assistance activities.
- The main components of the proposed assistance are:
- To support planning and implementation of sustainable urban transport projects
- Support to strengthening institutional capacity for regulating, steering and planning urban mobility.
- Learning and exchange formats with other cities across India for exchanges on best practices.