Prelims Syllabus : India- Bilateral Relations Mains Syllabus : GS-II-Bilateral, regional and global groupings and Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s Interests
Why in News?
- Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu on his visit to Sierra Leone has signed 6 agreements with Mr Julius Maada Bio, President of the Republic of Sierra Leone.
MoUs signed :
- This is the first-ever visit of an Indian Vice President to the African Nation, Sierra Leone.
- The major agreements signed are:
- India will establish a High Commission in Sierra Leone.
- Both the countries have agreed to enhance cooperation in Information Technology, infrastructure development, agriculture, food processing and capacity building.
- Both decided to build on the existing cooperation at UNSC (UN Security Council).
- India announced a Line of Credit of $ 30 million by signing an agreement with the EXIM bank for Irrigation development in Tomabum for rice production.
- India has extended e-Visa facility to Sierra Leone nationals for ease of mobility.
- India was among the first countries to contribute to the UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) with the deployment of the 4000 strong Indian Military contingents.
- India has so far provided the developmental assistance of about $ 217.5 million to Sierra Leone for various sectors including water resources, agriculture, energy and telecommunication.