NASA’S ARTEMIS TO PUT FIRST WOMAN ON MOON
15, May 2019
Prelims level : ARTEMIS Mission Mains level :
GS 3: Science & Technology – Awareness in The Fields Of It, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology
Why in News?
NASA’s plans for the first woman on the lunar surface in 2024 in its ambitious plan named Artemis.
- ARTEMIS stands for Acceleration, Reconnection, Turbulence and Electrodynamics of Moon’s Interaction with the Sun.
- As the name suggests, the two spacecraft will measure what happens when the Sun’s radiation hits our rocky moon, where there is no magnetic field to protect it.
- Artemis is also the Greek goddess of the Moon and twin sister of the god Apollo.
- The Apollo program famously put the first men on the lunar surface in the 1960 and 70s.
Work in progress for Artemis:
- The program is still very much in its infancy.
- NASA has been developing a rocket and crew capsule to take people into deep space, those vehicles still have yet to actually carry any astronauts.
- NASA is developing new hardware including new lunar landers, in order for this project to be a success.
- Fifty years after the first person set his foot on the moon, NASA will also reveal three lunar rocks that Neil Armstrong picked using tongs to pile about 20 rocks into a specialized collection box.