National Electric Mobility Mission Plan
04, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Economics-E7 - Infrastructure Road, inland, Railway aviation, Housing, Rural & Urban Mains level : GS3I - Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc
Why in News?
- The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020 is a National Mission document providing the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- The plan has been designed to enhance national fuel security
- To provide affordable and environmentally friendly transportation
- To enable the Indian automotive industry to achieve global manufacturing leadership.
- As part of the NEMMP 2020, Department of Heavy Industry formulated a Scheme viz. Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) Scheme in the year 2015 to promote manufacturing of electric and hybrid vehicle technology and to ensure sustainable growth of the same.
- FAME-India Scheme Phase – II for promotion of Electric Mobility in the country.
- The scheme proposes to give a push to electric vehicles (EVs) in public transport.
- It seeks to encourage adoption of EVs by way of market creation and demand aggregation.
- Target of deploying 5 to 7 million electric vehicles in the country by 2020
- Emphasizes importance of government incentives and coordination between industry and academia
- Target of 400,000 passenger battery electric cars (BEVs) by 2020 ~ avoiding 120 million barrels of oil and 4 million tons of CO2
- Lowering of vehicular emissions by 1.3 percent by 2020
- Total investment required – INR 20,000 – 23,000 cr (approx 3 billion USD)
- FAME India is a part of the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan. Main thrust of FAME is to encourage electric vehicles by providing subsidies.
- Vehicles in most segments – two wheelers, three wheelers, electric and hybrid cars and electric buses obtained the subsidy benefit of the scheme.
- FAME focuses on 4 areas i.e. Technology development, Demand Creation, Pilot Projects and Charging Infrastructure.