NATIONAL GAS GRID
GS 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Why in news?
Government has launched National Gas Grid gas pipeline project which aims to provide piped cooking gas.
- To remove regional imbalance within the country with regard to access of natural gas and provide clean and green fuel throughout the country.
- To connect gas sources to major demand centres and ensure availability of gas to consumers in various sectors. Development of City Gas Distribution Networks in various cities for supply of CNG and PNG.
National Gas Grid:
- At present about 16,788 Km natural gas pipeline is operational and about 14,239 Km gas pipelines are being developed to increase the availability of natural gas across the country.
- These pipelines have been authorized by Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) and are at various stages of execution viz. Pre-Project activities/laying/testing/commissioning etc.
- Natural gas is a naturally occurring hydrocarbon gas mixture consisting primarily of methane, but commonly including varying amounts of other higher alkanes, and sometimes a small percentage of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide, or helium.
- Natural gas available in India can broadly be classified into two categories, viz.
Domestic Natural Gas
Imported Re-gasified Liquefied Natural Gas (R-LNG)