NATIONAL INDICATOR FRAMEWORK
27, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Governance- Institutional Reforms Mains level : GS-II- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Why in news?
- A national consultation workshop was organized with the Central Ministries / Departments and State Governments to discuss the proposed indicators. The Ministries / Departments were also requested to examine the suggested possible national indicators and add / delete / modify / suggest national indicators for the SDG targets concerned. Furthermore, a public consultation was also made.
- Based on the suggestions received in the national consultation process from concerned Ministries/Departments and other stakeholders, National Indicator Framework (NIF) consisting of 306 statistical indicators has been prepared by MoSPI.
- NIF will be the backbone of monitoring of SDGs at the national level and will give appropriate direction to the policy makers and the implementers of various schemes and programmes.
Features of National Indicator Framework:
- Largest ever Monitoring Framework in the country. National Indicator Framework consists of 306 statistical indicators. This is the largest monitoring framework in the country and will be dependent on a statistical system for flow of information.
- It has been developed after extensive consultations with NITI Aayog, Central Ministries, State Governments and other stakeholders.
- The framework consists of nationally defined indicators responding to national priorities and needs.
- National acceptability was an important criterion used in deciding the indicators.
- The indicators directly respond to the goals and targets.
- Attempt made to cover all components of the targets.
- Data sources and periodicity included.
- Data disaggregation to be decided by the respective Ministries.
- Scope of improving the Framework by adding/deleting indicators with improvement in Statistical System.
- High Level Steering Committee (HLSC) to periodically review and refinement of National Indicator Framework for monitoring SDGs.