NATIONAL INVESTIGATION AGENCY (AMENDMENT) BILL, 2019
09, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Polity Governance- Parliament P3 Mains level : Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and Social Networking sites in Internal Security Challenges, basics of Cyber Security; Money-Laundering and its Prevention.
Context- Union government on Monday introduced the National Investigation Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in Lok Sabha
Features of Bill:
- A Bill seeking to further strengthen the National Investigation Agency (NIA) by giving it powers to probe terror attacks targeting Indians and Indian interests on foreign soil.
- legislation will also allow the NIA probe Cyber-Crimes and cases of human trafficking.
- agency will be empowered to conduct investigation in any part of the world if any terror attack targeting Indians or Indian interests takes place.
National Investigation Agency (NIA):
- The NIA was set up in 2009 in the wake of the Mumbai terror attack
- NIA Act was enacted in 2008 and the National Investigation Agency (NIA) was born.
- At present NIA is functioning as the Central Counter Terrorism Law Enforcement Agency in India.